Application Procedures and Requirements
1. The applicant must be 21 years of age or older, have declared professional status with USEF and be an
USHJA Active Member or Collegiate Coach
of USHJA in good standing.
2. Submit the following to USHJA:
- Completed online TCP
Application. Log in to your USHJA account and click "TCP Application" under the USHJA Trainer Certification Program section.
- Application fee of $100 (includes complimentary TCP Manual).
Once logged in to your USHJA account, click "TCP Payment" under the USHJA Trainer Certification Program
section, then click "Pay for TCP Application Fee".
- A new requirement to your TCP Application is to undergo a background screening; the link can be found in your
online TCP Application. If you do not complete this required background screening, your application will not be
acted on. Please be aware that your application fee is non-refundable.
- Resume documenting professional experience within the hunter/jumper industry teaching, training and/or riding. Resume is limited to 900 words or less on one page.
- Certified Trainers: Resume documenting a minimum of three out of the last seven years of professional experience within the hunter/jumper industry teaching, training and/or riding.
- Provisional Trainers: Resume documenting a minimum of one year of professional experience within the hunter/jumper industry teaching, training and/or riding.
- Please note: Once a trainer becomes fully certified, his resume will be published on the USHJA Certified Trainers Directory located on the USHJA website.
- Copy of current professional and/or general liability insurance certificate
- The certificate of insurance must list your name. If you are a farm owner or employed by a college or farm, you must be listed individually or provide a written letter from the insurance company providing proof that you are covered under your employer’s policy.
- Applicant’s liability insurance must be current throughout the entire application and certification process. If your liability insurance expires at any time throughout the application and/or certification process, you must remit proof of renewal to USHJA to continue the application and/or certification process.
- Complete one of the following within one year of the application date:
- Your educational requirement must be completed within one year of the application date. Any of the above will fulfill that requirement.
3. Additional required documents to be submitted separately from application:
- Applicants to the USHJA TCP are required to ensure that three
TCP Recommendation Forms are sent directly to USHJA from the three references provided by the applicant. (Mac users must use latest version of Adobe.)
- The recommendations must be from full-time, active professional trainers within the hunter/jumper industry who have working knowledge of the applicant’s current riding, teaching and training abilities for at least the past three years.
- All three of the professionals must be current USHJA members in good standing and declared professional with USEF. At least one of the professionals must be from the applicant’s home zone. If the applicant has moved to a new zone fewer than three years ago, the home zone recommendation requirement may be dismissed at the TCP Committee’s discretion. In this case, professionals must be from the zone from which the applicant moved.
- It is important that the professionals can comment on the applicant’s abilities with a variety of levels of riders and horses.
- Each recommendation form must be completed and signed by the individual and must include contact information, which may be used for
- Additional pertinent references who have known you for a shorter period (i.e. fewer than three years) are acceptable in support of your application.
- The references may not be submitted from a family member, an employee or a professional that provides a service for your
business (e.g., veterinarian, farrier, et cetera).
- The completed TCP Recommendation Form must be submitted directly to the USHJA office. Recommendations submitted on other than the
required form and not sent directly to the USHJA office by the individual completing the recommendation will not be accepted.
4. Applications will be reviewed by the TCP Committee three times annually. The criteria to
consider applicants includes but is not limited to, completed application, references, proof of
current general and/or professional liability insurance, fulfillment of program education requirement
and record of any previous USEF suspension and/or documented criminal activity.
- All application documents and requirements must be submitted and completed within one year of the start of the
application process. Application documents and requirements older than one year by the time the application is submitted
in its entirety are considered expired and must be replaced.(e.g., applicants who fulfill their educational requirement on
May 1, 2012, must have sent in their complete application, application fee, proof of current insurance and resume, and ensure
that USHJA has received three recommendations, between May 1, 2012 and April 30, 2013.)
5. The applicant will be notified of his application status following the TCP Committee review.
- Upon approval and acceptance into the TCP Program, the applicant will be asked to submit the $225 exam/certification fee.
- Upon receipt of the exam/certification fee, the applicant will receive instructions for taking the online exam.
- Applicants who the TCP Committee feel need more experience or additional references will receive individual feedback.
Return to main TCP apply page.