The USHJA Trainer Certification Program was developed to preserve the American
Hunter/Jumper Forward Riding System by offering a comprehensive educational program based
on that system and providing increasing levels of certification for professional
horse trainers. Participation in the TCP, while voluntary, is
encouraged for the ongoing professional support it provides. Becoming a Certified Trainer
confirms a commitment to continuing one’s professional development, which leads to an ever-increasing group of well-rounded and knowledgeable horsemen.
In order to receive and maintain certification, trainers are tested on a broad spectrum of relevant professional
information, including training techniques, safety of horse and rider, horsemanship skills and business ethics.
The hope of the TCP Committee is that the knowledge imparted during the Trainer Certification process will be
passed along from the trainers to the students, who are the future of the equine industry. In this manner,
each generation of horsemen can learn from the experience of the ones that came before them.
Please note: The TCP application fee includes a complimentary manual.
The separate purchase of a manual will not reduce the application fee if you
apply to the program at a later time.
Melanie Smith Taylor
The Trainer Certification Program assists equine professionals to define and
develop their role within the hunter/jumper industry by providing continuing
education and a forum for long-term professional development with recognition of merit.
Professionals in the industry each have unique skill sets as well as goals and objectives,
and becoming a Certified Trainer allows for this individualism within a set of standards and ideals.
The Trainer Certification Program strengthens the hunter/jumper discipline in a variety of ways by making accessible:
- A comprehensive educational program based on the American Hunter/Jumper Forward Riding System
- Recommended teaching and training goals and methods
- Demonstrating widely based knowledge of the hunter/jumper sport, including stable management, horsemanship practices, safety, flatwork, jumping, professional conduct and client relationships
- Free listing in the USHJA Directory of Clinics for riding clinics hosted or conducted by a USHJA Certified Trainer.
- Providing a reputable and reliable resource base for riding students
Certified Trainers enjoy the following benefits:
- Developing and improving teaching skills that incorporate the principles of the American Hunter/Jumper Forward Riding System
- Opportunities for interaction and exchange of ideas with other Certified Trainers and mentors from all levels
- Increased credibility, professionalism and visibility to current and potential clients
- Inclusion in the USHJA Certified Trainers Directory and publications
- Eligibility for insurance premium discounts through Markel Insurance
- Discounts on EquestrianCoach.com memberships. Click here for more information and contact Anne-Marie Abell for your discount code.
Trainer Certification Program Statement
The USHJA Trainer Certification Program is a voluntary education and certification program
developed by USHJA for the benefit of its professional trainers, its members and the general public. The
program is the sole and exclusive property of USHJA. USHJA reserves all rights to determine the program’s
specifications, requirements and procedures and to review and amend those specifications, requirements and
procedures as deemed necessary in its sole discretion. USHJA reserves all rights to require periodic updating of
its certified trainers’ biographical and demographic information, qualifications, continuing education, insurance
and other requirements, and it further reserves all rights to suspend or revoke certification upon failure of the
Certified Trainer to provide the above information. USHJA, as the nationally recognized affiliate of the United
States Equestrian Federation for the hunter and jumper disciplines and in accordance with USHJA By-Laws,
agrees to reciprocity with USEF, and any suspensions of USHJA Certified Trainers by USEF will be honored by USHJA.
Therefore, an individual’s USHJA Trainer Certification will be suspended by USHJA for the same time period imposed
by USEF. USHJA reserves all rights to review any claims, statements, allegations or other information submitted to
it in writing by any USHJA member or member of the general public regarding any act, conduct or behavior by a USHJA
Certified Trainer which may be considered prejudicial to the best interests of the USHJA or the sport of equestrian
and, if it deems necessary or appropriate in its sole discretion, to forward the same to USEF for further administrative
determination and action pursuant to USEF General Rules.